Metroid Is Back!

It’s been a long wait, but our day has finally come my fellow Metroid fans! Nintendo has announced not just one but two upcoming Metroid games! After the seeing nothing of substance released for the series since 2010’s Metroid: Other M, holding out hope for a new game was starting to become difficult. Here we are though. It took seven years but new Metroid awesomeness is finally on the way!

(video from YouTube channel: Nintendo)

It’s still hard to believe that Nintendo is willing to return to the Metroid Prime series after 7 long years. That sort of time gap would usually mean the end of a series, but we now live in a world where The Last Guardian  is released and Beyond Good and Evil 2 has resurfaced, so it would seem that anything is possible. Details for Metroid Prime 4 are currently scarce, but IGN has dug up at least a couple of details. According to Bill Trinen of Nintendo a “talented new development team” is making the game alongside the series’ producer Kensuke Tanabe. He also confirmed that Metroid Prime 4 will retain the first-person perspective of its predecessors. Fans won’t be playing the game anytime soon since it only just entered development, but knowing it’s really out there is enough for now.

(video from YouTube channel: Nintendo)

Thankfully, Metroid fans won’t have to wait for Metroid Prime 4’s release in order to step back into the boots of their favorite bounty hunter. Metroid: Samus Returns will be out later this very year! The game is a remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus, the first of the series to be released on Game Boy. It appears to be following the same basic plot as the original, with Samus landing on SR388 on a mission to eliminate the remaining metroids. Visually and functionally though, the game looks like it’ll be an entirely different animal. Samus can now aim in any direction, can use a melee attack to stun enemies, and can pin places of interest on her map in order to more easily find them again later. The game will be launching in September so we can expect to see more information released in the coming months. Hopefully it’ll confirm what we’re already seeing in this E3 trailer: Samus is back and better than ever!

Are you psyched for a new Metroid game? Which Nintendo announcement were you most excited for?

Lede image from Official Metroid Prime 4 E3 Teaser

1. Dan Holt says:

Absolutely delighted by the news. My only complaint is that the game could be 2 years away. I mean, with this and the Pokemon Switch game I have to wonder what exactly they were doing towards the end of the Wii U cycle..

I, too, wonder what was going on during the Wii U’s lifespan. It almost seems Nintendo was asleep or something. The Wii U could have really used more games like the ones recently announced. At least it’s good to see Nintendo’s finally woken up and started working on great games again.

I’m definitely excited for Metroid Prime 4, but as Mr. Holt mentioned, the game’s release is surely years away. Then again, at least that will give me some time to save up for the Switch.

That is the one and only downer in this announcement. We likely won’t see Metroid Prime 4 until 2020, but at least we know it’s coming.

3. I’m thrilled! I have played Metroid II yet so intend to before the remaster comes out 🙂

It’s still a solid game even now! Definitely worth the time

4. Imtiaz Ahmed says:

I’m super hyped. Hearing the metroid music before the logo was shown sent goosebumps through my body. I thought, can’t this be… metroid? and man was I NOT disappointed. I’ve also wanted to play a remake of Metroid 2 for some time now, I’m very glad Nintendo has decided to do this.

I’m super excited, too! I honestly didn’t think there would be any more Metroid Prime games after the third one, so this is great news indeed! Once this game is released, that might be the day I need to finally buy the Switch.

1. Imtiaz Ahmed says:

Yup, I actually hopped on board the switch right after the announcement