Mass Effect: Andromeda — Screenshot Theater

Being over three weeks old now, Mass Effect: Andromeda feels a little like old news. Most people I know who have it have already completed at least one playthrough. Speedy hares they are! I, on the other hand, am the tortoise in this gaming race — slow and steady. And yes, this is a fancy way of saying that I haven’t made much progress in the game since my first impressions post. (sigh)

Still! This isn’t to say that I’ve made no progress. Unlike the original Mass Effect trilogy with its intense race against the Reapers, Mass Effect: Andromeda feels more like a slow burn. Granted, the overall plight of everyone in the game is rather grim should the Pathfinder not succeed, but the game doesn’t possess the same level of intensity. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just different. As such, I personally haven’t become as invested in the game as I became with the first three. But I still have a very long way to go. I’ve only just succeeded in my first Pathfinder mission, and I’ve started in on the second. I’m still getting to know my crew, their personalities and quirks.  And I’m still trying to get the hang of skill points and crafting. (I find the whole research and development format a bit overwhelming, and I honestly feel like whatever I’m doing, I’m doing wrong.)

And by the way, that new patch that they released? I guess it made the facial animations a little better, but now my Ryder has constantly moving hair, like she’s always standing in front of a fan. Also, her head glitches out in the funniest way during some conversations, almost like she’s possessed. Maybe it’s not funny…but it kind of is. Really, I’m just glad that I get to hoard more stuff. Loot is loot, after all.

That might have been the longest introduction ever to a short video, this short’ screenshot theater” video that I made from, well, screenshots of Mass Effect: Andromeda. These are from my first dozen hours of play, or thereabouts. It’s short, silly, and it reminds me that I really need to get better at taking screenshots. Enjoy!

All images including lede (© Bioware) were taken by cary using GeForce Experience.

1. parkerozgood says:

I’m with you on the gameplay progress. I haven’t gotten to far, but it’s not for a lack of interest in the game but rather time. I like it aside from the obvious facial glitches! I am having a harder time getting to like these characters and associating with them like I did in the last series but I am still a fan so far. It’s going to be a rainy weekend here, maybe time to catch up!

That sounds awesome! It is taking me a little longer to become invested in the game than it did with the original trilogy, but I’m still have a whole lot of fun. There’s just so much to discover!

Reblogged this on Recollections of Play and commented:

When life gets busy, there’s nothing like a good ol’ screenshot gallery, amirite?

Wait, what?

Nothing. Never mind. It’s just that I made this super quick Mass Effect: Andromeda screenshot theater video for Virtual Bastion’s YouTube channel, and you should totally check it out. Totally.

3. I just finished my first real mission after the tutorial level, so I’m with you! But it’s been due to time… and since playing on my lovely CRT-TV means I can’t read any text, I “accidentally” 100% the level, which slowed down my progress as I tried to make sure I finished the actual story objectives…

But I have a little more time now, so I’ll be able to have the same duration of time per play sitting as I did with the original trilogy, which I hope helps with immersion and things like that. Also can’t wait to see these glitches… haha

Oh, I hope you don’t get any of the glitches I’ve experienced! Ryder’s “possession” seems to have calmed down, but her hair is really something. It just twitches randomly in nearly every cut scene. (In my next playthrough, I’ll have to pick a short hair style for Ryder, haha.)

I’ll be able to pick up my pace with the game soon, so I’m looking forward to that. Out of curiosity, what about your set up means you can’t read text in the game? Is it a resolution or display issue? (I ask because we have an old CRT TV as well, but we use it only for older consoles. It seems to work okay with those, but some day we might want to use it for newer consoles. If it lasts, that it.)

1. Hopefully! I’ll let you know if I come across any (haha).

Regarding the TV, the resolution of the TV just isn’t sharp enough. With my older consoles it’s fine because the text is larger, but it seems like newer games just put this teeny tiny print in them. I mean, I don’t like how small the text is on newer televisions, either, but at least moving closer to the screen can remedy the readability problem. Right now, though, I’m flying blind in regards to anything that involves text… I’m not sure if that answers your question!

It does, and it’s good to know! Heck, I have problems seeing the itty bitty text that lots of games seem to favor these days on a flatscreen TV. I’m playing Andromeda on PC, and it’s actually been great for small text – the resolution is so much more favorable and I’m closer to the screen generally. There’s quite a bit of text in Andromeda (especially when you add in all the codex entries and such), but I can see how you’d be able to keep going from quest point to quest point without it.