The Nintendo Switch is Tops in Sales

By Owen1962 (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
According to a recent article on wccftech.com, sales of the Nintendo Switch have been booming, and they aren’t showing any signs of letting up. The console hasn’t yet celebrated it’s one-month anniversary, and already it’s sold millions of units worldwide. Of the phenomenon that the Switch has become, Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO of Nintendo of America, stated:

The reaction has been fantastic. Consumers want it, I’ve been with industry peers, they’re excited with what we’re doing and hoping to drive the industry. I’ve seen the games, like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, right now the fourth highest-rated game in the history of video games.

With the sales numbers that the console has been posting, it seems to be on the verge of outshining the Wii, the Nintendo DS, and the Nintendo 3DS.

And that’s pretty incredible.

Also, it’s no revelation. Because if there’s one thing that Nintendo does well, it’s surprise everyone when they least expect it.  As I recall, the news of the Switch was quite middling between its announcement in October 2016 and it’s 2017 release. All sorts of questions loomed ranging from CPU power to battery life to “what if I lose one of the Joy-cons?” Until late last month, no one in my local gaming circle was interested in the Switch.  We had been burned by the Wii U, saw the Switch as pure gimmick, loathed the notion of finding space (and TV hook-ups) for yet another console, and were disappointed in the Switch’s launch offerings. (Though everyone was onboard with the idea of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild but remained unsure about it practically.) Come the third of March though, and people caved. What swayed most was watching actual Breath of the Wild gameplay on an actual Switch. Despite the fact that the game is also on the Wii U, the Switch somehow looked too good to turn down.

This is what I’m seeing now across the Internet. Jaded disbelievers turned once again into rabid Nintendo fans. And it’s not only Link’s new adventures that are capturing everyone’s attention. There seem to be a few other honestly decent games (Snipperclips comes to mind) for the system that fans are enjoying. Plus, there’s loads of promise. Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Ultra Street Fighter II, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (not anytime soon, but still!), not to mention announcement ports such as LEGO City Undercover and Skyrim.  Oh yes, if Nintendo plays its cards right, the Switch could indeed become reckoning force in the industry. Now wouldn’t that be cool?

If you made the switch to the Switch, what are your thoughts on the console? Is it perfect as is, or is there room for improvement?  And for what future Switch games are you most hopeful?

1. Herandar says:

Billions?

Apologies for the typo. It’s millions. The error has been fixed.

2. renxkyoko says:

I have the old model, ha ha, but haven’t played it since I got tired of Smash Brothers ( ? ) and that was the only game I had on Wii. Most of the games I play are on PS.

The Wii and Wii U are definitely the outliers in our console collection. Most of the stuff I play now is on the PlayStation. Or the PC.

1. renxkyoko says:

I’m glad it’s doing well. I don’t like bankruptcies.

3. Mr. Panda says:

I’m really enjoying my Switch, and I’m glad that the system is doing well. My hope is for more great games to come out on the system, and a bigger user base will be necessary to warrant those. At least there are many who are coming back to Nintendo after skipping the Wii U. Definitely a big chance for the company!

It is indeed good to see that the Switch is doing well after the Wii U was less than successful. Like many of us, I grew up with Nintendo, and I hope very much that the company continues to make games for many more years to come. After playing Breath of the Wild, it is clear Nintendo still has what it takes to make great games.

4. Imtiaz Ahmed says:

Hearing everyone’s reaction and thoughts about the switch since launch is great. Yes it has draw backs like oddly placed ports, weak stand, no ability to transfer saves, but it does it’s core function extremely well. The thought of playing a game as big and complex as BOTW on the go is one thing, being able to put the switch in sleep mode and resume from the exact same spot may not sound like much, but I find it quite incredible. It’s like the equivalent of closing you 3ds for standby.

On top if that, it’s launch line up is actually pretty good based on user reactions. I really want to get my hands on one despite the design flaws. It’s just too cool to not have one.

One if the big games I’m really looking forward to is Stardew valley. I never got this on steam because this is a game I want to play on the go and do it in quick pick up and play sessions. The switch just naturally kends itself to that.

I agree! The longer I go myself without having one, the more I wonder if I need to get on the bandwagon! (Though my bank account would heartily disagree, haha.) It’s really cool to see that Nintendo hit it out of the park with the Switch. And I’m sure it’s games lineup will only get better with time. (Stardew Valley does look very promising.) It seems well-destined to live alongside the SNES and the N64 in terms of greatest Nintendo consoles.