Listmas: Games I Played This Year

Image from Flickr User: Mark Fleming
Image from Flickr User: Mark Fleming

How wonderful that we’re doing Listmas again this year, as it was quite a fun holiday, and I’m just a person who enjoys listing things, no matter what time of year that may be. This has been a crazy year for gaming, so I thought today’s list would be a list of the games I played this year. Look at me go!

1. Rayman Legends, PS3, which somehow managed to top the masterpiece that came before it
  2. Final Fantasy VIII, PS1, a game that makes you want to conserve your magic at all costs, only to have it get periodically stolen during the final boss, the only time you feel like you can actually use it
  3. Final Fantasy VI, PS1, the inspiration for the first costume I ever made and for getting me into masquerade competitions
  4. Final Fantasy IX, PS1, a game I strangely couldn’t get into, even when, at the same time, it was pretty darn fun
  5. Chrono Trigger, PS1, a nice break from the turn-based RPG’s I had played up until that point and which included some pretty neat time travel
  6. Chrono Cross, PS1, which was both fun and the bane of my existence, considering they didn’t let you get experience from fighting most of the time, and the bosses could be so darn ridiculous
  7. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, PS2, my second playthrough, but my first time completing Annihilation Nation and collecting all sewer crystals, thanks to a map I completely forgot existed before
  8. New Super Mario Bros U, Wii U, which I’m still in the process of playing, with much gusto
  9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Wii U, which is a lot like the prequel, which accounts for the lessened gusto and less motivation to complete it any time soon…
  10. Pikmin 3, Wii U, which makes fruit far more fun than I ever would have expected; I just wish Brittany would shut up

A Duck That’s Been Busy With Nonsense

Did you unlock Up Your Arsenal’s Insomniac Museum this time?

Well, I did go there, but only by changing the clock. I plan on going there the correct way one of these days, but it’s just so hard to wake up on time. I’m a cheater.

You can unlock it by getting all the trophies too. They open the way to a teleporting pad the beams you directly to the museum.

Oh, yeah, I haven’t done that, either. I’ve been working on getting all the skill pints (there’s a list on the internet saying how to get them, because I’m a cheat), and after that, I might try to get all the titanium bolts and trophies. Again, by cheating…

2. Bo says:

This is EXACTLY how I feel about FFIX, it does everything right and I still can’t get into it entirely.

Yeah, I just don’t know what it was about that game. It was great. And I didn’t like it. Maybe I’ll like it more my second time through.

3. Pooky says:

I’ve tried and failed to get through FFIX so many times. I just don’t find it all that compelling, you know? Love DKC Tropical Freeze though! It’s a little hard for me sometimes, though. Do you think so? (If I’m being honest, I’m not all that good at platformers…haha!) Also, Pikmin 3 is super.

FFIX was so boring for me at first. It wasn’t until pretty far in that I finally started to semi-enjoy it. It’s just an odd game that, on the surface, has nothing wrong with it, but it’s hard to get in to. And I agree, Tropical Freeze was definitely difficult, but I managed to beat it, including some really tough secret world, which I only got through with Dixie’s help. It’ll be exciting to see if they make another one of these games, though I do wish they’d bring the Kremlings back.