Resonance: Hivory Towers

While Yooka-Laylee was not quite what we had all hoped it would be, there is one area where it absolutely delivered, and that was nostalgia.  After having completed the game only about a month ago, and despite having a rather rocky time with it, I already kind of miss it.  I think some of the Banjo-Kazooie nostalgia has rubbed off on Yooka-Laylee, but darn it, I can’t help it!  One major aspect of the game that immediately brought to mind thoughts of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie was the music, which could have easily been right at home on the bear and bird duo’s own soundtrack.  And for me, nowhere is this more apparent than in the background music for Hivory Towers.

Hivory Towers is what Gruntilda’s Lair was to Banjo-Kazooie.  While I can’t say it’s nearly as magical a place as the rhyming hag’s old lair (frankly, it was terribly confusing to navigate), I couldn’t help but grow attached to Yooka-Laylee’s hub world, even if it’s probably only thanks to the transference of Banjo-Kazooie nostalgia.  Let me tell you, that stuff is powerful if it can make me love something in an entirely different game from where the nostalgia originated.  But there was just something about my initial venture into Hivory Towers that made me feel like I was back in Gruntilda’s Lair, if only in purpose more than anything else.  And do you know what is responsible?  Most definitely the music!

Video from Youtube User: Vector Harbor

This song really has a Gruntilda’s Lair vibe going on.  In case you’ve forgotten what that song sounds like, just take a quick listen to the video below.

Video from Youtube User: GilvaSunner

Both songs start off low and menacing, despite a pretty catchy beat, and 1:00-1:20 of Grunty’s Lair is comparable to 0:52-1:11 of Hivory Towers.  By having a song reminiscent of one I had grown up with, I couldn’t help but feel immediately attached to a game I had, at that initial moment, been playing for a mere ten minutes.  If Capital B is the new Gruntilda, Dr. Quack is the new Klungo, and Hivory Towers is the new Gruntilda’s Lair, these songs were clearly meant to be spiritual soul mates, as surely as I live and breathe!  Nothing more needs to be said.

How do you do it, Yooka-Laylee?  You made me mad on more occasions than I care to count.  You put me through unfair and tedious challenges that made me tear my feathers out.  And yet, every time I listen to this music, I want to play you again!  Music is powerful, and nostalgia is powerful.  By combining these two things, Playtonic has created a song that resonates both with my past and present all at once.  Well played, Playtonic, well played.  Now when do you plan to start Yooka-Twoie?  Don’t keep me waiting!

Ducka-Laylee…Yooka Can Ride Around in My Backpack

Image from Flickr User: PSMania.net

1. Chris Scott says:

I did like the music but that was about it for this game. I’ve not uninstalled a game and had no regrets as quick as I did after finishing Yooka-Laylee.

What was your biggest issue with the game? I recently returned to playing it to try and get the remaining Pagies and Quills, and it wasn’t long before I was furious at the game for how frustrating and unfair it was. And I got some new glitches that made things aggravating, as well. I still love the music in Hivory Towers, though.

1. Chris Scott says:

I’m not sure I can pinpoint my biggest issue with it but maybe it is that it made one of those games without thinking about the fact that games have advanced since Banjo. I can forgive Banjo and other 3D platformers of that era for doing things wonky because they were learning how to make 3D platformers. But we’ve progressed, a bad camera in a 3D game today is unacceptable. Wasting my time doing tasks that aren’t fun just so I can advance isn’t acceptable anymore. By the time I reached the last two worlds, I was over the game and I still needed to collect enough pagies to open up the final boss. And then don’t get me started on the 27 different pieces to the final boss that the camera makes an infuriating endeavor.

Yooka-Laylee definitely had too many tasks that just weren’t fun. Running through doors before they close. Literally forcing us to jump through hoops. Pushing balls through a course within a time limit. I also just didn’t enjoy the mine cart levels or the arcade games. They were either tedious and dull or far too difficult. No matter how many times I tried, I still can’t complete the arcade game in the casino.

3. Chris Scott says:

I think I quit on the mine carts at some point because they were infuriating. Even if you memorized a route, the randomization of certain things would nearly always punish you.

I too found the arcade games to be tedious and not nearly as fun as they should have been. I do think I completed all of them but I’m drawing a blank on the casino one, mostly because they were all so generic that they blend together.

I managed to complete all the mine cart levels, but it was quite an ordeal. And then, to make matters worse, they decided it was a good idea to have a boss fight on the mine cart track in the casino. It was awful. I did win after a while, though it took many tries over the course of several days. I heard the casino boss had a reputation for being dreadful, and I quickly learned what all the fuss was about once I finally managed to reach him.

The arcade game I couldn’t complete had several lanes, and you had to avoid obstacles by jumping over them and rolling to go faster. I could never keep up for very long. I also couldn’t get the high score in the Galleon Galaxy arcade game. That’s the one where you press a button to fly, and you have to avoid hitting obstacles, the ceiling, and the floor. I nearly reached the high score multiple times, but if I get hurt, I lose so many points, it’s impossible to ever recover. Grr…

5. Chris Scott says:

I got to the Casino boss in the minecart run and was like… Nope! Nope! Nope! Who thought this was a good idea. Nope!

That fight was absolutely brutal! I shall never do that again!

2. Matt says:

I am still dying to play Yooka-Laylee. Give me a Swicth release date, Playtonic!

They sure are taking their sweet time with the Switch, aren’t they? What’s taking so long, Playtonic!

1. Matt says:

Hopefully there will be lots of improvements on that version! =D

Yes indeed! I have the PS4 version, and I get a fair amount of glitches. Just the other day, if I took damage, I would then repeatedly lose one unit of health every few seconds until I died. It happened three times. It was weird…but also a little amusing. Kind of.

3. Matt says:

hahahahahahaha… I can imagine! I am predicting the Switch version will be the definitive one. I am sort of glad I waited.