Zelda-ween: Three Troublesome Treks

It’s week two of our celebration of all things spooky and scary from The Legend of Zelda series…it’s Zelda-ween! And this week we’ve been talking about our favorite scary dungeons. Both Hatm0nster and The Duck have given us their picks, and now it’s time for me to take a stab (errr…not literally). You might think that there aren’t particularly scary places left from which to choose, especially since we’ve already covered the series’ ultimate spooky dungeon: The Shadow Temple from Ocarina of Time. But when you really think about it, the Zelda series is chock full of dungeons that, while they may not be downright ghoulish, possess their own particular brands of the macabre. So, on we go here with my picks for three troublesome treks through the worlds of Link and Zelda!

Ghost Ship (Wind Waker)

(Skip to 14:37 for The Ghost Ship)

I’d be hard-pressed to call Ghost Ship in Wind Waker out-and-out scary, but it is one of the creepier levels in the game. Plus, it’s replete with Stalfoses and ReDeads, so, yeah…it isn’t one of my most favorite places to be. Not only that, but in order to progress, you have to kill all the enemies onboard, so that made things even more stressful. Add to that disembodied, ghostly sounds and an eerie soundtrack, and I just wanted to get the heck out of there! (But truth be told, the Ghost ship was actually pretty fun to explore. It’s not one of the main dungeons of the game, so it’s a little smaller than most explorable areas. but it did offer a spooky good respite.)

City in the Sky (Twilight Princess)

So here’s another level that, upon first glance, may not seem very scary. However, if you’re like me and you aren’t exactly fan of heights, then it’s a downright nightmare! The beauty of Twilight Princess‘s City in the Sky is matched only by its lack of floors. More so than any other dungeon in the game (and that includes the very creepy Arbiter’s Grounds), in the City of the Sky, I found myself in fear for Link’s life should he accidentally fall into oblivion.  It took me several tries to get through the level, and each time, my stomach only formed tighter and tighter knots.  Also, it’s not at all all linear level, so the stress of finding my way around really got to me at points, and some of the enemies in it are pretty difficult to manage. The relief that came with competing the level was like none other. And I was soooo happy to have Link upon solid ground again!

Inside the Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)

(Skip to 12:25 to go Inside the Great Deku Tree)

Aw, c’mon, it’s just a wise, harmless tree. Well…that’s what YOU say! I say, SPIDERS! The Deku Tree may be the game’s introductory dungeon (and is thereby implied to be the easiest), but it’s also full of Skullwalltulas and Big Skulltulas! The smaller Skullwalltulas weren’t too bad to take out, especially once Link (who’s still just a kid) obtained the Slingshot. (Still, it’s pretty creepy to see a bunch of spindly-legged skull arachnids clinging to the tree’s inner walls!) As for the Big Skulltulas, they are another story. The first time one of them descended from the ceiling upon Link, I nearly dropped my controller from the scare. It was just so unexpected! From that point on, I kept a very close watch on the ceiling lest I be jump-scared again! Ocarina of Time’s Deku Tree is proof that stress can make an un-scary dungeon seem way more terrifying than one that’s supposed to be typically spooky (like the Shadow Temple).  Also, how about Gohma for the game’s first boss? She was one quick arachnid!

Now it’s your turn! Tell us in the comments: what Zelda levels made your blood pressure rise unexpectedly?

The Ghost Ship was definitely pretty spooky. Plus, it was just so awesome the very first time I ever played Wind Waker, when I finally got to see it sailing around one dark and stormy night. Once inside, the thing that freaked me out the most was that face behind the treasure chest that changes when you get closer to it.

I do recall that the ship wandered about, and sometimes the the map hinted as to its location. So stumbling upon it in the dark waters was an especially spooky thing. I was really excited when I finally found it. And I do remember that changing face! Very creepy, for sure.

2. I was definitely surprised by the Great Deku Tree being so… awful inside. The Shadow Realm in Skyward Sword also made me surprisingly anxious, and considering I’m a fan of stealth games, that was very startling for me.

The Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess also creeped me out, especially with that enormous hand that stalks you once you pick up the Sols…

Oh, that hand! I had encountered more than a few moments of stress before the Twilight Palace, so by the time I got to it, I just wanted the game to be done. So nearly everything in the palace gave me nightmares — from the giant Zant heads to the never-ending climbing up and up and up — but that stalking hand was the worst. The process of collecting the two Sols nearly gave me a heart attack. I was just so nervous about dropping one along the way, and that hand just kept pursuing. I could not have been happier to be done with that place.

The Deku Tree is a surprisingly awful place, made doubly so by the fact that Link is just a little kid. As for Skyward Sword, I’ve never played it, but I have heard about its Shadow Realm. Seems like it’s a place that many folks found to be unexpectedly unpleasant.

1. I don’t know how I forgot about those giant Zant heads!! Yeah that Zelda game was dark, through and through…

If you have a chance, Skyward Sword is worth playing, I suppose… It’s interesting to see how the developers tried to set up the foundation for the supposed timeline, and has some really cool dungeons (even if I was incredibly frustrated by it sometimes!)

3. Mr. Panda says:

Good call with the Ghost Ship, almost forgot about that. My wife was scared of the Great Deku Tree because of those giant Skulltulas, so you’ve got a point there.

Those Skulltulas are definitely horrifying creatures. I’m afraid of quarter-inch wide spiders, so having a spider twice my size fall down from the ceiling in front of me would probably give me a heart attack. If I was Link, the quest would be over immediately, as I would refuse to go inside the Great Deku Tree.

Deku Tree for sure! Also, the Fire Temple with it’s original music. You kind of got the sense that something terrible was going on in the inaccessible depths of that temple. Also, everything about Stone Tower temple in Majora’s Mask! (Place gives me chills!)

Any Fire Temple in the Zelda series is frightening to me because of all that lava. Yikes! And Stone Tower creeped me out, too, mainly when it was upside down. I find the fact that Link can now fall into the sky very unsettling.