A Plea for FF8 Assistance

Image from Flickr User: metallimaniac
Image from Flickr User: metallimaniac

With Cary and Jacob already on their quests to complete “Metroid Prime” and “Final Fantasy VII”, respectively, it got me thinking of a quest of my own that I would like to accomplish one day. My own game to complete is “Final Fantasy VIII”. I have reached the final boss, but I just can’t beat it. I have tried time and time again, but I just can’t seem to prevail. And I need help, or else I may never overcome my obvious incompetence, and that’s why I write this plea to all you fellow gamers out there, with one big question….

What the crap?

No, really, how do you beat the final boss in this game? Because I really don’t know. I am so stuck, it’s not even funny, and unfortunately, the stronger you get in this game, the stronger the enemies get. So spending hours leveling up may have been a bad idea. But, here’s what I’ve been trying….

I have three really good characters I use to fight, Squall, Zell, and Rinoa. All three are some of my highest leveled-up characters, and Rinoa has that awesome dog that helps out, so she’s a no-brainer. My other characters are weak and have no GF’s equipped or junctioned or whatever nonsense they use, and when they are KO’d, I let them disappear until my three good characters are there. Then, I typically try to use Cerberus, if it doesn’t just get killed, which does often happen, for Triple, then I use Triple to cast Shell, Protect, and Regen on everyone. All three have GF’s, while Rinoa’s Magic has been replaced with Items, in case I lose my Cure spells. She also has Restore to recover health without Shell (or Protect, I get the two mixed up) getting in the way.

So in part 1 of the battle, I use GF’s a little, when I think I can do so without them dying off too soon, but I mainly use regular Attacks, with Rinoa in charge of healing, but my regular attacks do hardly any damage whatsoever, so it takes forever. And I may use magic, as well, though I largely try to save it for later. 99 of each magic just might not be enough. Who knows…

And then there’s phase 2, which I’ve only gotten through once, and only because Rinoa used a good Limit Break that I’ve never gotten an option for since. With this part of the battle, I use GF’s tons and my strongest magic, like Firaga (any of the “-aga’s”, really) and Ultima and all that good stuff, and whenever it’s about to do it’s ridiculously strong (and boring) attack, I get everyone healed, then I wait and let their little meters fill up. That way, if anyone is low on health or is KO’d after the attack, I can help them immediately before those creepy angel baby things “absorb them into time”. Nevertheless, even this method is not sufficient, when the ridiculous attack comes far quicker than normal (it usually takes forever, and then, all of a sudden, it does it right away, giving me barely any time to prepare, which is just not fair), or other factors intervene to speed along my inevitable demise. Every time, I start losing my characters, and eventually, I have one poor fool fighting it all by themselves until they, too, become the victims of freaky nude angel-babies.

So what am I doing wrong? I used to have my magic junctioned to get as much health as possible, but now I do defense, but I don’t know if it makes any difference. My characters are, I think, on levels in the 50’s, maybe higher. Only my strongest GF’s and magic do any decent damage to the final boss, and the Limit Breaks people encourage you to use also do little damage. Is it necessary for me to get Lion Heart, do you think?… Because I don’t have it. Do I need stronger weapons or something?

So, if anyone can give me tips, that would be appreciated. Looking on the Internet or watching videos on Youtube doesn’t help. I just see videos where people do 9999 damage per attack and beat the final boss within 5 minutes, and that doesn’t help me. I’d win, too, if I could deal such blows. The Duck is at a loss.

The Duck is Rubbish at Games That Take Actual Skill

Good luck to you Duck! Your description of this boss makes the fight against Sephiroth look like a walk in the park! 🙂

Thanks. Sephiroth was pretty bad, but at least he’s possible. I’m almost convinced no one’s ever really beaten this game. All the videos that show such a thing are just elaborate jokes….

2. tinkergoth says:

Unfortunately it’s been so long since I’ve played FFVIII through to the end that I only have barebones memories of what I did. I play it regularly, but usually can’t be bothered going through to Ultimecia, since I finished it a few times in high school when it first came out. So I’m not sure how much help I can be.

From memory, my strategy involved zero use of GFs beyond their junctioning abilities (the possibility of losing their junctioned spells was too risky), and I had basically managed to grind my way to having 99 of every spell worth junctioning on every single character. Everyone had their final weapon, Quistis had as much blue magic as I could get for her, and Rinoa had every single Angelo limit break. I also managed to grind my GFs so that I had every ability worth learning, without leveling my characters too much (I believe I used Card to defeat enemies without getting exp as much as possible), so by the time I got there my average level would have been maybe in the 30s or 40s. Strategy in the fight consisted of my beating face as much as possible and spamming whatever spells weren’t essential to junction, and relying on Angelo’s abilities to keep the party alive with auto phoenixes and so on. I think it took a few tries the first time I did it, but it worked pretty well… I remember that the first time I beat her though, the end of the fight literally came down to a 1v1 fight between her and Rinoa, and Angelo just kept her standing long enough to duke it out.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been trying to level up my GF’s, but unfortunately, I’ve been leveling up my characters, too, which likely only lowers my chances of winning.

I’ve had Rinoa fighting the final boss alone on many occasions. She did surprisingly okay, but the whole time, I knew she was doomed to die eventually.

And my goodness, this game sure is complicated, isn’t it? I’m glad I haven’t seen this whole junction business in other games, or else I’d never beat any of them.

3. Cory Woodrum says:

It’s been a while since I played FF8, but make sure you are junctioning well. Every character should have 99 of top-tier magic junctioned to their stats if you want to make the boss a bit of a joke.

It depends on how much you’ve leveled up, though. When I was a kid, I used a gameshark to boost myself to level 99 with infinite HP because I had no idea what I was doing and I was borrowing the game. The final battle took forever.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I need to stop leveling up. I may have only made things far worse for myself. So, it seems I really need to work on doing a better job with my junctioning. I wish they just wouldn’t make the game so darn complicated, though. Then, I wouldn’t be having this issue in the first place.