What Is Your Favorite Game?

Do you have a favorite game? Probably, right? If push comes to shove, most of us probably have that one game that we love more than the rest. A favorite game isn’t necessarily a static thing though. Favorites change, just as gaming changes, just as we continue to change. I know my favorites have changed over the years. However, it’s not so much that games changed than it is that my relationship with them changed.

I’ve probably had three games that I could call my “absolute favorite” over the course of my life so far. The first was The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It was the title that first got me into video games in the first place after all. It was the first game I ever played, the first game I ever beat, the first game I ever mastered…there were quite a few “firsts” when it came to that game. I still have a soft spot for it, and I still enjoy playing it it, but it’s time as my favorite was relatively brief. That distinction was almost immediately snapped up by The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask when it released in 2000.

Oh man, Majora’s Mask. I’ve taken just about every opportunity to talk about this game that I can, and I still can’t seem to say enough! It’s one of those rare games that I can play over and over again without ever getting tired of it. Seriously, between the original and the 2014 3DS version, I’ve probably played through the game at least 10 times. It’s to the point where I’ve committed just about the entire game to memory. All the dungeon layouts, all the heart pieces, the best way to complete the alien fight, even the routines of everyone in Clock Town! It’s all right there in the ol’ noggin! I don’t know why it affects me so. I could be the dungeons. It could be the much more personal story. It could even just be the soundtrack. Whatever the reason though, Majora’s Mask is, to this very day, a game I can pick up and play through without any problem whatsoever. I just absolutely love it! However, it’s no longer my favorite game. That honor is currently held by the original Mass Effect.

I’ve had an odd relationship with Mass Effect over the years. It’s probably been my actual favorite game since I first completed it back in 2008, and for a long time I was able to play it in the same way I was able to play Majora’s Mask. All told, I probably clocked around 7 or 8 complete playthroughs between 2008 and 2012.  I learned every secret and mastered every class. I made Shepard’s story my own and relished every minute I got to spend exploring this fictional version of the Milky Way! Things change though, and the spell was broken upon completing Mass Effect 3.

I’m not really sure about what happened. It may that the disappointment of the third game’s ending kinda shocked me out of it. Or, perhaps the fact that the journey was over was enough to quell my desire to play the games. Whatever the reason, I found myself with almost no desire to step into the shoes of Commander Shepard again. The strange thing is: I still consider the original Mass Effect to be my favorite game.

I still don’t have much desire to go back and play it again, but I still see it as something special. I still remember that magical feeling of playing it through for the first time and still remember being a near-rabid fan of the series. It’s still the game I compare all other games to, and it’s still the game to beat. I may still enjoy picking up and playing Majora’s Mask, but no other game has yet to inspire the same kind of fervor in me that the original Mass Effect did.

So, it’s changed. My favorite changed until I played Mass Effect and that game ultimately changed my own personal definition of “favorite”. It’s no longer the game I enjoy playing the most, but is now instead the game that had the most impact on me. In all likelihood, both will change again. There are always new games to be played, and new experiences to be had. So, honestly it would be quite strange if Mass Effect wasn’t dethroned at some point. In fact, I can hardly wait for that to happen!

What’s your favorite game? Has it always been your favorite? Has the reason it’s your favorite always been the same?

Image by Flickr user: Ryan Somma (cc)

1. Hey just wanted to toss in my two cents. Chrono Trigger has been my favorite game since its release. I’ll never forget beating it over and over again to view every ending over the course of one summer vacation. I’ve replayed it many times since. Perhaps too many times as it seems I’ve burnt myself out on it. Still its impact upon me has been undeniable and its the standard I generally hold games up to. Runner ups would be Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Thanks for you interesting post. I liked the breakdown of the concept of “favorite” and why some of us choose favorites the way that we do.

Chrono Trigger is a great choice! I’ve only managed a single playthrough at this point, so I’ve only seen one ending. Am looking forward to seeing the rest!

Have you played the DS re-release? I heard that they added an additional boss fight and ending to it.

1. Glad you agree! I played Chrono Trigger extensively on the SNES and barely on the PlayStation remake, which I do NOT recommend for its hideous loading times. I’ve never owned a DS and I’m not a fan of handhelds, despite the content they usually add. So I haven’t played that version. You’ll have to let me know about that extra boss! Which ending did you get?

I don’t really remember the details. It’s the ending you get for going through the entire game and then defeating Llavos back in 65 million B.C.

As for the extra boss, I’ve never actually fought it, but it’s called the “Dream Devourer” and is the combined form of Llavos and Schala. It’s meant to to serve as a link to Chrono Cross.

Oh! Since you’re a Chrono Trigger fan, be sure to look out for a game called “I Am Setsuna” later this year. It’s a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger made by Square-Enix. It employs the same type of battle system, complete with updated versions of a lot of the Tech moves like “cross-slash”. It’s already out in Japan and is supposed to be released in the US later this year. It looks awesome! It’ll be on PS4 and PC.

3. The Dream Devourer, yeah that’s the final boss on Chrono Cross if I remember correctly. Tryna retcon Trigger. Shame. Chrono Cross was beautiful but that gameplay…
        I’ve not heard of I Am Setsuna, I’ll be sure to keep my ears open! Thanks!

2. vahrkalla says:

I totally get what you mean about your relationship with a game changing. Couple years back I was just discovering the joy of reading comics, I ordered about 30 DC trade paperbacks in the space of a month, and promptly after I got the flu. Reclined for about 4 days and completed Arkham City. Nothing you could have told me then would have tarnished my opinion of that game. Nowadays? I still love comics but I’m less of an avid reader. I’d say now that my favourite game is The Wolf Among Us. Terrific acting in a terrific tale.

Love that game! Here’s hoping we get a second “season” sometime soon!

So what happened with Arkham City? Is it still a game you’re able to play or closer to one that you like but can’t really play anymore?

1. vahrkalla says:

I suppose that the narrative structure of City, the way the mysteries were slowly revealed and all, means that playing after knowing the initial mysteries would have a certain lacking to it. Having said this, Arkham City was a beautifully gritty playground to prowl, and that will always lure me. 🙂

3. Despite popular opinion, Mass Effect 3 has been my favorite game since it came out. I love the Mass Effect series and as a whole, all three are my favorites. But if I had to choose just one I always pick Mass Effect 3. I just loved everything about from the gameplay to the continuation/summation of a fantastic narrative. I even love the ending, which most people hate. To me it’s a perfect game, and one I praise every chance I get!

Mass Effect 3 is definitely a solid game, there’s no denying that. I didn’t like the ending, but I absolutely loved the *Citadel* DLC. It was an excellent send-off for the original trilogy!

So, who’s your favorite character?

For the longest time, Super Mario 3 was my most favorite game. I played it so much, first on the NES then again (and again and again) on the SNES as part of Super Mario All-Stars. I couldn’t even put my finger on why I latched onto that game over other Mario games (even the brilliant Super Mario World), but at a point I knew the game so well I could practically play it with my eyes closed. It was simply enjoyable.

The game that broke the Mario spell was Super Metroid. And I’d still consider that an all-time favorite, even today. It’s a *perfect* game in so many ways — from the story to the mechanics. Super Metroid is all about the players, making players learn on their own, making players explore and want to find all the game’s secrets. Making players feel like they have all the control and yet, none of the control. Because Samus is the real one in control. It’s genius.

And then I played Mass Effect. Boy, there’s just something about this game that works for me. Like you, it became my my top game for awhile. It introduced me to interactivity in games, as well as to a more adult world in gaming. It (and concurrently Fable) made me want to seek out complex, story-driven games that allowed for relationships and team/skill building.

Even so, I still find myself going back to Super Metroid over and over. No game has quite captured that same magic for me.

It’s incredible what Super Metroid managed to accomplish in terms of getting its player in tune with the game. It really sucks you in. I always loved how the Metroid Prime games did that too come to think of it…

I can never decide on a single favorite, though one of my favorite games of all time is Banjo-Tooie. For the last 15 years, I loved it even more than Banjo-Kazooie, until recently. Just a few months ago, I played the games again, and strangely enough, I enjoyed the first game more. I still adore both games, but I think the order in which I love them has switched. Not sure why. It’s odd how things change.

7. Dina Farmer says:

Even with all of it’s wonderful flaws and broken game mechanics I still love Jade Empire with a passion. I don’t think I can ever really truly stop talking about this game. I should write more about it….

It was a fun story line and a game that is easily wrapped up at the end. Although, I know there will never be a Jade Empire 2, I know it is a game that displayed BioWare at a very good point in their history.

That kind of reminds me of Sonic Adventure 2. I absolutely love that game, and then I recently watched this Youtube video pointing out its many flaws. I never realized before how many issues that game had, but it still doesn’t stop me from loving it. A good game is a good game, and it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Bonus points to Duck for Sonic Adventure 2! It has its flaws, but that doesn’t stop levels like City Escape from being awesome!

8. That’s easy! My favorite game is…

*To be continued…*

9. Therexman1 says:

My favorite game has to be Halo 4. The prometheans were a fun enemy to face and to have the prometheans kill some of the covenant for you while you do somethings was awesome.

The enemy AI was definitely interesting in Halo 4, it was cool how you could walk into skirmishes between the two factions

1. Therexman1 says:

Yeah that was awesome and I found my Halo 4 in my storage locker so I can play it again