Will Red Dead Redemption 2 sound as good, if not better than the first?

Earlier this week, an article popped up on VG247 discussing marked similarities, as pointed out by a NeoGAF member, between the song used in in Red Dead Redempetion 2’s announcement trailer, and a song titled “Apertura” (from The Motorcycle Diaries) by Gustavo Santaolalla. Take a listen below.

Santaolalla is a composer with plenty of meaty credits to his name, including the genius soundtrack of The Last of Us.  While he’s apparently contributing that the soundtrack of that game’s sequel, it does seem quite possible that we’ll hear his work on RDR2. After all, the two pieces of music do sound very alike, with the only exception being the instruments used – the trailer music is primarily in piano and Santaolalla plays the guitar in “Apertura.” I’m not alone in the thought that Rockstar wouldn’t use just any ol’ song in their announcement trailer for this potentially seminal game, but the company has been tight-lipped about it so far, so…it’s all just conjecture for the moment. But wouldn’t it be grand to hear the intense/wary musicality of The Last of Us  combined with the western-inspired rhythms of Red Dead Redemption?

Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite soundtracks. In the game, it’s a character in and of itself. From lending airs of quiet dignity to broken solitude to all-out chaos, each piece of the score works in harmony with their respective scenes and each other. Given the care and quality that’s evident in that soundtrack, it seems unlikely that Rockstar would be okay with offering up mediocre sounds in RDR2. Whether or not we’ll hear from the likes of Gustavo Santaolalla or other amazing composers as we, the players, conquer the West once again, hope runs high for this particular sequel, which is due out later this year.

[Article source: VG247]

Let’s talk! With what games do you think the soundtrack of a sequel surpassed that of it’s predecessor?

Lede image © Rockstar Games

1. I just recently completed RDR, and you’re right about the music – it is utterly brilliant throughout, the influence of Morricone comes across really well.

Good call there! It’s a soundtrack that manages to captures the spirited sounds of the Old West and brings them up to speed for modern ears. Just one of the best around. I’d listen to it right now, if it weren’t for the fact that it only makes me want to play the game! 😀

2. Imtiaz Ahmed says:

This summer at some point i’ll get through red dead redemption. I never got quite into rockstars GTA games, but hoping red dead redemption will make me change my mind about them. I naturally like westerns more so should be good.

Red Dead Redemption truly stands tall among Rockstar’s other titles. And though it hearkens to GTA in ways, it’s really it’s own game. I can’t recommend it enough. If you do get through it, I hope you enjoy it. 🙂

1. Imtiaz Ahmed says:

Yea I actually played a little a month ago, didn’t go too far just because you know, one massive open world game at a time. But I really enjoyed the gun fights

Reblogged this on Recollections of Play and commented:

If there’s one remaining game this year that I have my sights firmly set on, it’s Red Dead Redemption 2. (If there was ANY news about South Park: The Fractured but Whole, that might be the one instead. But there isn’t. So here we are.) I’ve been keeping a keen eye on RDR2 news, hoping for any slivers of information that will only heighten my excitement. Recent rumors concerning the game’s soundtrack did just that, because RDR’s soundtrack is an all-time favorite. Recently, over on Virtual Bastion, I offered up this quick report on RDR2’s musical news.